Friday, November 18, 2011

Rolling Homes Keep On Rolling...















Just as long as there's dreamers like you and me in this world, these wonderful old 'road roamers' will keep on trucking.
Here's a few more images from Jane Lidz's book on Rolling Homes.
So many folk these days are becoming committed to owning their own lives, ridding themselves of debt, reducing their outgoings and going someplace where life can be simpler and freer.
All this, much to the annoyance of local bureaucrats, suburban homeowners and ratepayers everywhere who continue to feel threatened by someone living outside the square.
They all live in little boxes and have to spend their precious lives going to work to earn money to pay ever more expensive utility bills and so why shouldn't everybody else.
Each year more and more of these wonderful vehicles fall by the wayside, unable to reach the new road 'standards' set by officialdom.
But here in New Zealand at least, there are still many of these old 'rolling homes' still on the roads.
People living alternative and fulfilling lives.
And having fun.
Keep the dream alive and let's keep rolling my friends...



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Hear hear.Diversity is an essential spice in what life dishes up for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enceouraged today to continue dreaming as I make the journey - as Clive Hamilton + Richard Denniss say in their book 'Affluenza' in distinguishing between what I want + what I need + taking ownership of my life in a different way to free myself from debt + utilities bills + go someplace where my life will be simpler + freer. For me right now in my motor home parked at a lovely NZ far north beach. I may not own one of these fabulous beauties but in time - who knows.
    Is today's global capitalism an attempt to buy our identity - again from 'Affluenza'. For me, not any more, + brings to mind Henry David Thoreau's statement 'success is not what you have but what you can enjoy living without'.
    Thanks Keith for your inspirational writing + the challenges you present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all live in little boxes and have to spend their precious lives going to work to earn money to pay ever more expensive utility bills and so why shouldn't everybody else.

    Bingo. This accounts for unaccountable anger at the lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete