Saturday, July 2, 2011

Postcard From Rotorua...

I'm spending a couple of days at Rotorua, home of New Zealand's Geothermal Wonderland.
Cooked my breakfast eggs in a thermal pool and today's early 'touristy walk' around the Government Gardens introduced me to the beautiful carving of 'Tawharakurupeti' installed in 2007 and once again enjoy the wooden 'Princes Gate', erected to honour King George V and Queen Mary in 1901.
Many hundreds of thousands of people visit these gardens every year.
I was the first one this morning...
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are neet. What is the statue carved out of? Almost looks like ivory but of course it is too big. Is the black painted on or was it in the original stone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you right now! I love Rotorua, such a beautiful city. What a fantastic way to start the day, by going for a walk in the gardens :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The statue is carved from wood and the design is painted on... Rotorua's never looked as good as it does now...

    ReplyDelete